[Asterisk-Users] Absolute Minimum Installation Packages

Ray Burkholder ray at oneunified.net
Thu Oct 30 21:34:07 MST 2003

With development tools, I've had the installation down to about 800 and some
odd MB.

If you do the install without development tools and without kernel source,
you should be able to get it down to 600 MB or less area (kernel source is
over 100 MB by itself.

The basic way you do this is when you install Redhat, turn off all packages,
then start selecting the ones you really need.  The dependency generator
will then select the related ones for you.  And if you've missed some
special ones, you can always re-add the rpm's after installation in
complete.

You are going to need two machines: one with a bunch of extra packages
installed so you can compile Asterisk and create an RPM, and another one
without the excess stuff on, where you simply install the asterisk rpm.

I've kept the Kickstart file that has my typical install.  I have a few
extra packages in it for network management and troubleshooting.

Regards,
Ray Burkholder