[Asterisk-Users] Absolute Minimum Installation Packages

Grzegorz Nosek blackfire at metal.art.pl
Thu Oct 30 23:51:40 MST 2003

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 20:44:27 -0500, Leif Madsen wrote

> > BTW, has anyone already tried to produce a KNOPPIX * Customization?
>
> Wierd that I had actually started to just think about this earlier
> today... :)
>
> Unfortunately this is going to be nothing that I can do to
> help at this point.. I am really quite budgeted for time,
>  and I can barely work on the other things I have somewhat
> commited to.
>
> I'll be so glad when I'm back in school, and hopefully have
> some more time to work on this kind of stuff.
>
> Keep me posted, I have a couple of idea's that this could be
> useful for
> (if anything, just what the minimum packages are for a RH
> install)
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> +------------------------------------------+
> |Leif Madsen - http://www.hacklocalhost.com|

hi

i've been thinking of a similar solution myself, but not even on a
cd-r but on a compact flash card. the idea behind this was to make a
plug'n'play voip gateway of dirt-cheap p2-350 slim boxes. they have
the nice property of being almost inaudible (only 1 fan inside) so i
thought i could eliminate all possible moving parts and make it still
quieter (and less fragile) by removing the hdd and plugging a cf
instead (a 128mb cf+adapter costs roughly the same as the computer but
oh well ;). so far i've managed to fit quite a complete debian system
on ~130mb and if i tried somewhat harder (like installing only the
rescue disk image and building on that instead of stripping down a
normal install), i'm sure i could get it below 100mb or even smaller.

another possibility if you come from the redhat background would be to
use [ducks] mandrake, i remember it had (around 8.2 at least) a
minimal install which amounted to ~60-~70mb (don't know if redhat has
such an option too)

regards
 grzegorz nosek