[Asterisk-Users] SS7 signaling/Softswitch

CW_ASN - Gus cw_asn at fibertel.com.ar
Fri Oct 24 12:29:45 MST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lal, Deepak (Contractor)" <dlal at harris.com>
To: <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2003 3:09 PM
Subject: [Asterisk-Users] SS7 signaling/Softswitch

> I'm confused a bit about the following and was hoping to get some answers
on
> this group - What is exactly implied when we say asterisk can connect to a
PSTN.
> Does it mean connecting to the PSTN via PRI/T1/E1? If yes, then I assume
> asterisk does not need to do any SS7 signaling and all it does (playing
the role
> of a PBX) is to connect to a Class 5 Switch at the CO. Is this a correct
> statement?
* can be connected to PSTN using ISDN-PRI or MFC:R2 to bring up links with
Class V switches. Also, you can connect using FXO and FXS hardware.

> As I understand, Asterisk does not support SS7 signaling. So does this
imply
> that asterisk cannot be really used in a CO as a Softswitch which would
> interface with the PSTN via SS7 signaling?
My people is starting to work in some CCS7 basic implementation, but at this
time no code was released. At this time, they are working in FISU and LSSU
treatment...
Anyway, in certanly implemetations you don't need CCS7 to connect to CO. You
always can connect with PRI... same speed and same functionalities to user
side. In fact, CCS7 is the support for ISDN-PRI avanced features. If you
could connect with Lucent 5ESS you can have a PRI treated as route...

>If that is the case, the only
> softswitch functionality that Asterisk provides is the media conversion
between
> TDM circuit and an IP network (using SIP)? Is this correct?
No, its not 100% accured. * can be used as Softswitch in MGCP... all "good"
softswitchs uses MGCP/TGCP/NCS to manage each endpoint. I have 1 * box under
test with Cisco BTS10200, and * works very fine with this softswitch. You
could use SIP too...

Regards,

Gus