[Asterisk-Users] SS7 signaling/Softswitch

Jerimiah Cole jcole at tularosa.net
Fri Oct 24 12:14:09 MST 2003

Lal, Deepak (Contractor) wrote:

> I'm confused a bit about the following and was hoping to get some answers on
> this group - What is exactly implied when we say asterisk can connect to a PSTN.
> Does it mean connecting to the PSTN via PRI/T1/E1?

Basically.  There are also POTS interfaces that work with asterisk.

> If yes, then I assume
> asterisk does not need to do any SS7 signaling and all it does (playing the role
> of a PBX) is to connect to a Class 5 Switch at the CO. Is this a correct
> statement?

It _is_ the "Linux Open Source PBX" after all :)

> As I understand, Asterisk does not support SS7 signaling. So does this imply
> that asterisk cannot be really used in a CO as a Softswitch which would
> interface with the PSTN via SS7 signaling?

AFIAK, Asterisk does not speak SS7.  However, SS7 is not the only
requirement in a softswitch application.  Another critical feature would
be supporting GR-303 interfaces.

> If that is the case, the only
> softswitch functionality that Asterisk provides is the media conversion between
> TDM circuit and an IP network (using SIP)? Is this correct?

Pretty much.  It's not a softswitch, it's a PBX :)  I can't say for
sure, but I doubt the developers are aiming toward providing all of the
features requred for a softswitch.

Jerimiah
Tularosa Communications