[Asterisk-Users] A software FAX modem

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Wed Oct 22 18:44:45 MST 2003

Steven Critchfield wrote:

> [...]
>
>Now I just wish it was robust enough to work over my IAX connection
>without problem. I'm sure it is the GSM compression that is biting it.
>I'll run some more tests and then maybe I'll move it to a machine
>located in the same rack as my phone gateway machine. At that time, it
>shouldn't be a big deal for me to use G711 for the transport. I'm just
>wary of putting it on my production switch at this moment.

Any compression below G.711 will screw most modems. GSM certainly will.
If you use G,711 you still need to beware of any data slips. Even a
single sample hop will kill a modem faster than 1200bps. They encode
data as phase, and the phase will jump irrecoverably with even a single
sample of slip.

Regards,
Steve