[Asterisk-Users] A software FAX modem

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Oct 22 10:37:59 MST 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 11:32, Steve Underwood wrote:
> Hi Steven,
>
> I think I have the tagging right for the aspect ratio. A lot of display
> software gets it wrong, including some well regarded things like the
> GIMP. KFax displayed my fine and standard test FAXes properly.

kfax works well as you suggested. Also when I used the TIFF tools to
split the tiff, then gv would view it with appropriate aspect ratio. So
I think you are correctly writing the file. I was just using quirky
image apps.

Now I just wish it was robust enough to work over my IAX connection
without problem. I'm sure it is the GSM compression that is biting it.
I'll run some more tests and then maybe I'll move it to a machine
located in the same rack as my phone gateway machine. At that time, it
shouldn't be a big deal for me to use G711 for the transport. I'm just
wary of putting it on my production switch at this moment.