[Asterisk-Users] A software FAX modem

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Wed Oct 22 09:32:34 MST 2003

Hi Steven,

I think I have the tagging right for the aspect ratio. A lot of display
software gets it wrong, including some well regarded things like the
GIMP. KFax displayed my fine and standard test FAXes properly.

Steven Critchfield wrote:

>Figured the group would like to hear this. I just faxed a sample
>document from a real fax machine to asterisk semi successfully. I'll
>consider it just semi successfully for now because either I haven't
>found a viewer that puts the image in proper aspect ratio or the storage
>is screwy. I'm thinking it may be the fact that image apps expect the
>file to be in X by X dpi not X by Y. Otherwise it was readable.
>
>Also I was able to take the resulting tiff file and create a sample call
>file that then sent the file back out to the real fax machine
>successfully. The output was nearly identical to the original with the
>exception of being darker. I'll attribute that to cheap fax machine with
>crappy scan head.
>
>Otherwise, Great job.
>
>So far this is my bug list.
>
>1. Makefile uses a include and library directory from /home/steveu.

My install notes mention that.

>2. Shouldn't make install for the spandsp library put the headers and
>libraries in the proper locations so we don't have to make special
>include links?

Lots of nice things should happen in time :-)

>Basically if #2 is fixed, then #1 will not need those paths.

Obviously.

Well, it seems my own success is not unique. However, several people
seem to be getting a similar crashing problem, and I haven't worked out
the cause yet. It never crashes for me.

Regards,
Steve