[Asterisk-Users] Is the X100P a WinModem?

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Wed Oct 22 06:24:30 MST 2003

Yes, a winmodem has all the hardware you need to do the job - however that
is not the entire picture.

Unless the card happens to contain a dsp, or interface chip whose
specifications are public you might as well give up.

This is a similar problem to having an ethernet card and a driver, but
expecting a different card with a different chip on it to just work with
your driver. (Obviously you totally missed out on this sort of fun in the
early days of Linux/FreeBSD)

Having hardware I would say is not even half the battle - whether it is
commercial or custom, often the designs are based closely on the
manufacturer's app notes, so designs using the same core chip are often
interchangable. Having software that makes the hardware work for your
application is the hard part since often there is no reference design at
all for this from the manufacturer, let alone one that will work with Linux
or FreeBSD.

Over the summer Atheros (makes the radio modules in the dlink and linksys
wireless stuff) took the groundbreaking step to release a "sort of" open
source driver for their hardware, but this is not the norm at all. Take
another example of ATI vs NVidia and compare the driver availability.

So in summary, unless you happen to have some pipeline of information
coming from a winmodem manufacturer, making it into a linmodem let alone
another specialized telephony device is anything but trivial, unless it
happens to be based on exactly the same chips and reference designs as the
software you have is for.