[Asterisk-Users] Is the X100P a WinModem?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Wed Oct 22 04:50:34 MST 2003

> I keep noticing the Wildcard FXO X100P sorta seems like a Winmodem.
> Winmodems are basically a sound card chip tied to a pots port, where the
> Winders driver takes on the MO/DEM functions in software. I've always
> despised them as a data communications device but the other uses of the
> cards do seem good.

Check the archives, this has been brought up NUMEROUS times.

The X100P is essentially a PCI serial port with a POTS SLIC chipset wired to
it.  It can play noises out to the PSTN, listen for noises from the PSTN
and detect PSTN state.  That is it.  The Tiger320 chip (PCI to parallel/
serial bridge, really) also provides a stable 1000Hz time reference for TDM
functions, but that is all the card does.  There is _no_ onboard DSP, _no_
onboard help for anything really.  That chip reminds me a LOT of the PLX
PCI-ISA "converter" chips.

So to answer your question, it is essentially a controllerless "winmodem" --
I don't know of any winmodems that use the Tiger320 chip, so I think this
thing is something relatively obscure in this part of the world, anyway.  I
think it's main feature as a PCI-parallel/serial bridge is the fact that it
lets you set PCI ID through pullup/down resistors instead of an EEPROM,
reducing cost even more.

Regards,
Andrew