[Asterisk-Users] A software FAX modem

Johnson, Randy rjohnson at Spang.com
Wed Oct 22 03:13:46 MST 2003

The biggest TIFF related problem for me was that tif_dir.h was included from
tiffiop.h, but not installed in /usr/local/include.  I built from the
original spandsp-20031020.tgz tarball on RH9 with some help from the
tiff-v3.5.7 tarball.

> It seems you are not the only one getting this coredump. I assume you
> are using exactly the same libtiff as me, since you are using RH9.

I never saw a coredump or crash.  I did rebuild libtiff from source while I
was looking for the missing header file, but I'm still linking against the
stock RH9 libtiff.so in /usr/lib (my built libtiff is in /usr/local/lib).

> Strange. Still, it seems people are getting some communication at the
> V.21 and V.29 modem level now. That is certainly progress :-)

Yep.  I couldn't successfully receive a fax from a faxmodem, but app_rxfax
is definitely communicating at the FAX level.  Here is an example from the
Asterisk console on my test system:

*CLI>     -- Starting simple switch on 'Zap/1-1'
    -- Hungup 'Zap/1-1'
    -- Starting simple switch on 'Zap/1-1'
    -- Executing RxFAX("Zap/1-1", "/tmp/testfax.tif") in new stack
Changed from phase 0 to 1
Start receiving document
Changed from phase 1 to 4
Sending ident
>>> CSI: 40 38 37 36 35 34 33 32 31 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20
DIS:
Store and forward Internet fax: no
Real-time Internet fax: no
Preferred octets: 256
Can receive fax
Data signalling rate: V.29
R8x7.7lines/mm and/or 200x200pels/25.4mm OK
2D coding OK
Scan line length: 215mm
Recording length: A4 (297mm)
Receiver's minimum scan line time: 0ms at 3.85 l/mm: T7.7 = T3.85
R8x15.4lines/mm OK
Inch-based resolution preferred: no
Metric-based resolution preferred: no
Minimum scan line time for higher resolutions: T15.4 = T7.7
>>> DIS: 80 00 c6 f0 80 80 01
HDLC underflow in state 9
Changed from phase 4 to 3
<<< TSI: 43 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 78 61 46
TSI without final frame tag
Remote fax gave TSI as: "Fax                 "
<<< DCS: 83 00 c6 70
DCS with final frame tag
In state 9
DCS:
Store and forward Internet fax: no
Real-time Internet fax: no
Can receive fax
Data signalling rate: V.29, 9600bps
R8x7.7lines/mm and/or 200x200pels/25.4mm OK
2D coding OK
Scan line length: 215mm
Recording length: A4 (297mm)
Minimum scan line time: 0ms
Get at V.29
Changed from phase 3 to 5
Fast carrier up
Fast carrier down
Changed from phase 5 to 4
0 bad bits in trainability test
Start rx document - compression 2
Start rx page
>>> CFR: 84
HDLC underflow in state 5
Post trainability
Changed from phase 4 to 5
Fast carrier up
Fast carrier down
Fast carrier up
Fast carrier down
Fast carrier up
Fast carrier training failed
Fast carrier down
Fast carrier up
Fast carrier down
Fast carrier up
Fast carrier training failed
Fast carrier down
Fast carrier up
Fast carrier down
Fast carrier up
Fast carrier down
    -- Hungup 'Zap/1-1'

> I will try to provoke the software some more, and see if I
> can reproduce
> this problem. I have sent a couple of rolls of FAX
> successfully from my
> soft-fax to a real FAX machine (plus some that didn't go so well, of
> course), and quite a few files the other way. This thing really is
> basically capable of working in its current state.

Any luck with receiving from fax modems?  The example above was a
transmission from an old Hayes Optima 288.  I can test with a variety of
Hayes, Megahertz, USR, and MultiTech modems if that information would be
useful to you.

Thanks for the great work, Steve.  This is going to be killer when it gets
polished up.

Randy Johnson