[Asterisk-Users] Survey: Grandstream improvements.........

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Tue Oct 21 04:30:35 MST 2003

> +1 on both of these points. The power brick is cheap and nasty. POE would
> be a huge plus. A 100mb bridge would make the phone a lot more attractive
> in an office full of cables.

I specifically stated a wide POE range because let's face it, with the power
requirements that phone has, a wide-input-range DC-DC converter is
_peanuts_, especially if you've already got a tiny switchmode converter for
line power.  A very wide range on POE input makes it easy to mix and match
phones too.  Hell if you've got a switcher already, you can make it
autosense polarity too.  Don't pull a Cisco.  Don't try and lock your users
in to one brand of switches.

As for the 100mbit switch -- again I was very specific here -- don't throw
on one of those $0.25 "100 mbit" switch chips that can only sustain about
1MB/sec -- I put in a 100mbit switched network to achieve 11MB/sec
sustained, not burst.  A two-port switch capable of full sustained network
speed shouldn't be expensive and can really be a big marketing feature.
"We won't screw your network speeds" kind of thing.  :-)

> I'd also add my voice to the request for a better speakerphone. The
> dialtone comes out loud and clear but everything else is too muted. If I
> up the volume to hear calls, then the dialtone becomes deafening - as
> does the handset when used.

Speakerphone is a big deal with me too.

> For central configuration, the cfg.txt file format would be nice, but is
> still a pain. Ideally I'd like to be able to configure the phone via DHCP
> extensions. That would be ideal as I can configure the lease time to
> manage how frequently the phones update and I can centralise the
> configuration with the IP details.

Why not specify a TFTP server/config filename via DHCP?  It's already
standard and would work very well.

Regards,
Andrew