[Asterisk-Users] Survey: Grandstream improvements.........

Jonathan Hogg jonathan.hogg at seventh-wave-systems.com
Tue Oct 21 04:05:03 MST 2003

On 21/10/2003 11:14, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

[...]
> 6 - POE (12V-48V input range)
[...]
> 5 - integrated 100mbit switch ***capable of sustaining 100mbit***
[...]

+1 on both of these points. The power brick is cheap and nasty. POE would be
a huge plus. A 100mb bridge would make the phone a lot more attractive in an
office full of cables.

I'd also add my voice to the request for a better speakerphone. The dialtone
comes out loud and clear but everything else is too muted. If I up the
volume to hear calls, then the dialtone becomes deafening - as does the
handset when used.

I'm less concerned about the codecs as I'm happy to use ULAW/ALAW on the
internal network and have Asterisk transcode to something else for external
calls.

There should be a way of locking the menu button, as it is too easy to muck
with the settings.

For central configuration, the cfg.txt file format would be nice, but is
still a pain. Ideally I'd like to be able to configure the phone via DHCP
extensions. That would be ideal as I can configure the lease time to manage
how frequently the phones update and I can centralise the configuration with
the IP details.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Hogg