[Asterisk-Users] Registering Softphones to Asterisk

Tim Cres timpbx at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 8 15:44:40 MST 2003

Hi,

We have set up our Asterisk server, our extension.conf and sip.conf
according to
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2003/07/03/asterisk.html?page=4
It's quite basic, and extension.conf is set up properly.  The difficulty we
are now encountering is in sip.conf, in trying to get any softphone to
register at our own Asterisk server.

We have searched the mailing list, and find bits and pieces of information
that kind of help, but are very much not complete.

The successes we've had include:

- registering extensions to Free World Dialup.  Once these were registered
we could make calls to our fwd numbers and have them routed through to our
asterisk server.  This would put us through to voicemail.

- have Asterisk route calls to a softphone.  Essentially, we just set up an
extension in sip, hard coded the IP and Asterisk would route a call from the
Free World Dialup to this extension.  The softphone receives the call and
can communicate somewhat.  This sounds like it works nicely, but it is still
lacking.

Our problem:

The problem is this... Asterisk routes the call to the hard coded IP.  The
softphone is just sitting there listening for calls, but not registering
with the Asterisk server.  Also, we cannot make calls from one extension to
another through our own Asterisk server.

The questions:

1) How do we set up specific softphones to register to the Asterisk server
and make calls to extensions through the Asterisk server?  The softphones we
are trying include: SJPhone, Kphone, Linphone.  If you know of any others
that work for you we'd sure like to know.

2) How do we configure sip.conf to do this?

If you have this working for you, please give us specific details concerning
the setup of your sip.conf and especially the corresponding set up for your
softphone.

We're very new to Asterisk and would very very much appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Tim & Rika