[Asterisk-Users] Registering Softphones to Asterisk

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Wed Oct 8 17:40:01 MST 2003

>Hi,
>
>We have set up our Asterisk server, our extension.conf and sip.conf
>according to
>http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2003/07/03/asterisk.html?page=4
>It's quite basic, and extension.conf is set up properly.  The
>difficulty we are now encountering is in sip.conf, in trying to get
>any softphone to register at our own Asterisk server.
>
>We have searched the mailing list, and find bits and pieces of
>information that kind of help, but are very much not complete.
>
>The successes we've had include:
>
>- registering extensions to Free World Dialup.  Once these were
>registered we could make calls to our fwd numbers and have them
>routed through to our asterisk server.  This would put us through to
>voicemail.
>
>- have Asterisk route calls to a softphone.  Essentially, we just
>set up an extension in sip, hard coded the IP and Asterisk would
>route a call from the Free World Dialup to this extension.  The
>softphone receives the call and can communicate somewhat.  This
>sounds like it works nicely, but it is still lacking.
>
>Our problem:
>
>The problem is this... Asterisk routes the call to the hard coded
>IP.  The softphone is just sitting there listening for calls, but
>not registering with the Asterisk server.  Also, we cannot make
>calls from one extension to another through our own Asterisk server.
>
>The questions:
>
>1) How do we set up specific softphones to register to the Asterisk
>server and make calls to extensions through the Asterisk server?
>The softphones we are trying include: SJPhone, Kphone, Linphone.  If
>you know of any others that work for you we'd sure like to know.
>
>2) How do we configure sip.conf to do this?
>
>If you have this working for you, please give us specific details
>concerning the setup of your sip.conf and especially the
>corresponding set up for your softphone.
>
>We're very new to Asterisk and would very very much appreciate the help.
>
>Thanks,
>Tim & Rika

The examples in the onlamp article are sufficient to allow a
standards-compliant SIP phone to register with your Asterisk system.
This is really a question about your particular softphone, and not
about Asterisk.  I'd suggest grabbing a copy of the xten Xlite
(http://www.xten.com/) phone and seeing if that registers
successfully, as I have that one working quite well.  For testing,
make sure there are no NATs or firewalls in between your Asterisk
server and your client.

JT