[Asterisk-Users] SIMPLE support in Asterisk?

Adam Hart adam at teragen.com.au
Sun Nov 30 15:51:07 MST 2003

> So what's a "call" for asterisk?
> * Something that's set up between two endpoints through the dialplan.
>
> Simple can send messages within a call, like
> * A calls B with SIP (INVITE-ACK-ACK)
> * B sends a URL to A with SIMPLE within the SIP session
>
> The problem that we have, if I understand Mark, is that Simple may also
> be used to send IM without setting up a SIP call (INVITE-ACK-ACK). Like
> the MWI SIP Notify message from Asterisk. Is that only generated in the
> relation to a SIP register?
>
> Asterisk has some notion of presense (CLI> SIP show peers) but not
detailed
> as the normal IM user wants: Presence with some attribute (atoffice,
athome,
> atmistress etc).
>
> To get SIMPLE to work within Asterisk, we'll have to:
> * Add SIMPLE support within the context of a call
> * Add a new session apart from a "call" - "notification"
> * Add some attributes to presence structure
> * Add a SUBCRIBE/ACCEPT mechanism - who may subscribe to my whereabouts?
> * Find programmers that can do this :-)
>
> Do the other protocols, MGCP, IAX2, H.323 have any support for text
messages?

I'd love this to implemented in IAX2 as well, without setting up and tearing
down a channel everytime you wish to send a message. Also the ability to
subscribe to someone's presence but not a pull method. (eg not polling every
minute) - It needs to be instant, as soon as they go on call, their
subscribers need to be notified.

I'd like to do it myself but I don't think I understand asterisk and
chan_iax2.c well enough. Hence, I'm currently hacking chan_iax2.c in my own
way.

A generic method needs to be made so you can set up a message dial plan so
we reuse everything, hence it's simple to store the message if the recipient
isn't online, using existing functions.

-Adam