[Asterisk-Users] SIMPLE support in Asterisk?

Kerker Staffan staffan.kerker at aerotechtelub.se
Fri Nov 28 01:11:44 MST 2003

Hi
this SIMPLE support things sounds really good. too bad i'm not a
programmer otherwise i would most certainly try to fix this. this
together with a full SIP proxy possibility (or at least SIP URI
handling) would be great! anyone else interested in this? anyone with
programming knowledge interested in this? =)

rdgs
/staffan

On Fri, 2003-11-28 at 08:51, Olle E. Johansson wrote:

> >>SIMPLE could be added within chan_sip, but there is no mechanism within
> >>Asterisk to move text from one channel to another *without* the context of
> >>a call.  *With* the context of a call, we definitely have such a thing
> >>(TEXT frames)
> Some brainstorm notes then:
>
> So what's a "call" for asterisk?
> * Something that's set up between two endpoints through the dialplan.
>
> Simple can send messages within a call, like
> * A calls B with SIP (INVITE-ACK-ACK)
> * B sends a URL to A with SIMPLE within the SIP session
>
> The problem that we have, if I understand Mark, is that Simple may also
> be used to send IM without setting up a SIP call (INVITE-ACK-ACK). Like
> the MWI SIP Notify message from Asterisk. Is that only generated in the
> relation to a SIP register?
>
> Asterisk has some notion of presense (CLI> SIP show peers) but not detailed
> as the normal IM user wants: Presence with some attribute (atoffice, athome,
> atmistress etc).
>
> To get SIMPLE to work within Asterisk, we'll have to:
> * Add SIMPLE support within the context of a call
> * Add a new session apart from a "call" - "notification"
> * Add some attributes to presence structure
> * Add a SUBCRIBE/ACCEPT mechanism - who may subscribe to my whereabouts?
> * Find programmers that can do this :-)
>
> Do the other protocols, MGCP, IAX2, H.323 have any support for text messages?
>

> /O

Staffan Kerker
AerotechTelub AB, Communications
staffan.kerker at aerotechtelub.se
ph. +46(0)47042185
cell. +46(0)705391365
--
"Don't get involved in politics man, just play the gig... "
/Sgt Floyd, Electric Mayhem Band