[Asterisk-Users] SIMPLE support in Asterisk?

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Fri Nov 28 00:51:37 MST 2003

Leif Madsen wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 12:03, Mark Spencer wrote:
>
>>>Yea, cause I used both Kphone and Windows messenger, and they
>>>successfully registered (and subscribed i think) towards asterisk. Using
>>>Kphone I even get a online status on all other users on the asterisk but
>>>no interaction with status or IM. So maybe there is some quasi presence
>>>avaible? I think it would be a great tool to support IM/Presence. There
>>>is so much that can be done with such implementations.
>>
>>SIMPLE could be added within chan_sip, but there is no mechanism within
>>Asterisk to move text from one channel to another *without* the context of
>>a call.  *With* the context of a call, we definitely have such a thing
>>(TEXT frames)
Some brainstorm notes then:

So what's a "call" for asterisk?
* Something that's set up between two endpoints through the dialplan.

Simple can send messages within a call, like
* A calls B with SIP (INVITE-ACK-ACK)
* B sends a URL to A with SIMPLE within the SIP session

The problem that we have, if I understand Mark, is that Simple may also
be used to send IM without setting up a SIP call (INVITE-ACK-ACK). Like
the MWI SIP Notify message from Asterisk. Is that only generated in the
relation to a SIP register?

Asterisk has some notion of presense (CLI> SIP show peers) but not detailed
as the normal IM user wants: Presence with some attribute (atoffice, athome,
atmistress etc).

To get SIMPLE to work within Asterisk, we'll have to:
* Add SIMPLE support within the context of a call
* Add a new session apart from a "call" - "notification"
* Add some attributes to presence structure
* Add a SUBCRIBE/ACCEPT mechanism - who may subscribe to my whereabouts?
* Find programmers that can do this :-)

Do the other protocols, MGCP, IAX2, H.323 have any support for text messages?

/O