[Asterisk-Users] Options for 3rd party call control

Alistair Cunningham ac at gnu.org
Tue Nov 25 12:51:22 MST 2003

I am working on a project on 3rd party call control for a call center, for
which I think Asterisk may be useful. What I would like to do is:

- Have a call come in to Asterisk.

- Asterisk asks another machine, over a slow IP link, such as a modem, how it
  should route the call. Asterisk passes the called and calling numbers.

- This other machine looks up the destination, based on called and calling
  numbers, in an SQL database, and responds to Asterisk.

- When Asterisk gets a reply, it routes the call.

- During the call, this other machine may ask Asterisk to re-route the call.

- If this happens, Asterisk hangs up on the party it called, plays a 'please
  hold' message to the caller, then connects them to the new destination.

- All this happens over a mixture of basic rate ISDN, analogue lines, H.323,
  and SIP.

Looking at the Asterisk website, I don't see any options to do this. Has
anyone given this any thought? Would such a thing be difficult to write?

--
Alistair Cunningham,
Email: ac at gnu.org