[Asterisk-Users] Options for 3rd party call control

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Nov 25 13:13:06 MST 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 13:51, Alistair Cunningham wrote:
> I am working on a project on 3rd party call control for a call center, for
> which I think Asterisk may be useful. What I would like to do is:
>
> - Have a call come in to Asterisk.
>
> - Asterisk asks another machine, over a slow IP link, such as a modem, how it
>   should route the call. Asterisk passes the called and calling numbers.
>
> - This other machine looks up the destination, based on called and calling
>   numbers, in an SQL database, and responds to Asterisk.
>
> - When Asterisk gets a reply, it routes the call.
>
> - During the call, this other machine may ask Asterisk to re-route the call.
>
> - If this happens, Asterisk hangs up on the party it called, plays a 'please
>   hold' message to the caller, then connects them to the new destination.
>
> - All this happens over a mixture of basic rate ISDN, analogue lines, H.323,
>   and SIP.
>
> Looking at the Asterisk website, I don't see any options to do this. Has
> anyone given this any thought? Would such a thing be difficult to write?

Why go out over a slow link to ask how to route when you could do any
number of lookups locally on the machine. You could write your lookup
logic into the dialplan. You could write your lookup logic into an AGI
script. You could do just about any lookups possible without the need to
go remote, but if you had to go remote, then thats easy too.