[Asterisk-Users] callerid problem...zaptel ppl

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sun Nov 23 10:48:49 MST 2003

> i can't get callerid in anyway thru *.

If * can't get it how do you think you're phone's gonna get it if it's
conneected via *?

> whats demarc? can u explain more?

point of demarcation -- where the telco says "anything up to this exact
spot, we'll look after and take responsibility for.  Anything after is your
problem."  Usually a box in the basement or on the outside wall of your
house.

The first place I look for trouble related to lines is to disconnect
everything on my side of the demarc and hook the * box up there directly.
If it still don't work then you've eliminated a LOT of head-scratching.

> with throrough readings and more, i found that there
> is a caller id program which could be used to check if
> my modem supports the callerid format coming from the
> telco. my zaptel modem doesnot seems to detected by
> linux as a modem. how can i find in which port my
> modem(X101P) is installed? /dev/ttys0???? once this is
> achieved i can tweak some portions in callerid.c to
> work with our countrys format.

It's a glorified softmodem.  You don't do that.  Start up * with -vvvvgc and
look at the console when a call comes in.  It should come between the first
and second rings.  (I'm speaking of North America here).

> the format i guess is similar to UK...callerid comes
> before the first ring???

UK CID is not detected by * at this time, which is what all that
"free-running FSK modem process" talk was about.

Regards,
Andrew