[Asterisk-Users] VOIP --> PSTN via. voicemodem/soundcard.

Philipp von Klitzing klitzing at pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Thu Nov 20 08:19:08 MST 2003

Hi!

> >How do I use a voicemodem/soundcard to PSTN-gateway - is it possible ?
> >
> The same way you recieve videos through your fax machine.. :)
> No, it can't be done..

If you skip the "voicemodem" part it _can_ be done; start with "make
samples" or take a look at:

http://www.junghanns.net/asterisk/page13.html

Greetings, Philipp

Tip of the day [2003-05-14]

Using asterisk as a softphone

If you are tired of all the linux softphones, give * and chan_oss a try.
To make it work together with other audio applications (and artsd) I had
to make some small changes to chan_oss.
The modifications also solved the problem for me that * sometimes hung up
the call without any obvious reason.
Grab a diff here.

;oss.conf
[general]
;
autoanswer=no
;
; Default context (is overridden with @context syntax)
;
context=goiax
;
; Default extension to call
;
extension=s

; extension.conf
[goiax]
exten => _X.,Dial(IAX/user:pass at pstngateway/${EXTEN}@capiout
exten => _X.,Hangup

exten => _1700X.,Dial(IAX/user:pass at iaxtel.com/${EXTEN}@iaxtel
exten => _1700X.,Hangup

chan_oss provides the console commands "answer", "dial" and "hangup".
You dont even have to run asterisk as root, since all the VoIP channels
use ports above 1024, see non-root Asterisk.