[Asterisk-Users] FAQ, Documentation, How-to, etc

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu Nov 20 01:28:44 MST 2003

Robert G. Werner wrote:

> Btw, I encourage those of the Wiki readership who can spell their way
> out of a wet paper sack to not hesitate in fixing typos. Mis-spellings
> really do make docs somewhat suspect,  to some types of people. Not me,
> of course.  ;-)

Thank you! My native language is not English, so I do add some typos here
and there. As an old editor of fact books, I take the liberty to edit other
pages, but can't see errors in my own... :-)

Thank you! to those of you who already fixed typos in my texts and
texts by other contributors. There are many more than me and James adding
to the Wiki now.

Just one more comment while I have your attention. Software development
consists both of coding and documentation. Without documentation, no one
can use the software except for the people writing the code.

Some people are much better at documentation that coding, so we
need to work together. When you add code, you have an explanation in
your head even if you don't write it down. Maybe don't even at that
moment understand that you need to explain yourself.

People like me ask questions to help you document your code in order
to get other people to understand it and use it. It also prevents other
coders to re-invent the wheel by adding functionality that existed in
the software - but no one knew about it.

Sometimes we can read the code to understand what you've done,
but not always. It can't be the default.

When I or someone else file a bug in the bug tracking system for
a documentation error or misleading text,don't just answer "read the source",
please help us all in getting useful documentation, both within the
help system and on other places, like the Wiki.

I strongly believe that proper documentation will take some burden off
the mailing list.

/Olle