[Asterisk-Users] FAQ, Documentation, How-to, etc

Robert G. Werner rwerner at brandxnet.com
Thu Nov 20 00:48:35 MST 2003

Ray Burkholder wrote:
> I think the key idea is to help newbies along as much as possible so they
> don't have to revert to the list to obtain answers to their questions.  This
> will reduce list bandwidth, possibly significantly.
>
> I see that we already have a four line digium footer on each and every
> message.  With judicious re-arrangement, so as not to expand the footer
> significantly, we put in a pointer to an FAQ, which in turn points to
> valuable documentation resources such as voip-info and xvoip, plus answers
> (or links) to common questions such as the moh issue, echo, ...
[snip]

I heartily endorse putting a link to the Wiki in the footer and I
whole heartedly thank its creators.  I have to say that between the
archives of the past few months discussions,  the Wiki and some docs
my intern worked up befor he got a real job (wanted to actually make
money, the hungry snot ;-P),  I've been able to get a basic little
demo system going and we're ready to start doing some serious
requiremnets planing and experimentation.

I think people should try to take the middle road.  Anyone who is up
to answering the "must have 500 line PBX up in 2 hours. Help Required.
  Thanks in advance!" requests,  should feel free.  But if you are
just sick of it,  please don't feel like you have to say anything (all
hail the might power of the delete key and in worse cases,  the kill
file).  Even when they get annoying.

I also think a link to the FAQ (now that it is being actively
developed,  may all the gods bless the originators) would be in order
and a snide comment about lurking for a while befor asking questions
would work as well.

Most of all,  don't take this too seriously.  Asterisk is cool.  But
part of why it is cool is that this isn't some package someone will
plunck down for you and have work instantly.  It's somehting that can
do amazing things.  I see so much potential with this system
(admittedly after just a couple of weeks learning about it),  that I
get very excited (then the folks in the nice white coats come and
evertything gets fuzzy for a while but that is none of your business).

Btw, I encourage those of the Wiki readership who can spell their way
out of a wet paper sack to not hesitate in fixing typos.
Mis-spellings really do make docs somewhat suspect,  to some types of
people. Not me,  of course.  ;-)

--
Robert G. Werner
rwerner at brandxnet.com