[Asterisk-Users] iax vs iax2 question

Philipp von Klitzing klitzing at pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Nov 19 09:01:54 MST 2003

Hi there!

> > One final remark: You should really split up the "type=friend" entry into
> > two entries for [sai-peer] with type=peer and [sai] with type=user. That
> > will save you headaches in the future.
>
> I've seen that comment several times before as well. Do you have any idea
> or experience as to what "headaches" might result from its use? [...]
>
> Can anyone help us better understand user, peer, and friend in the iax
> and iax2 environment?

See earlier posts of mine here:

- type=user cannot register with another server, it must by type=peer
(and maybe als type=friend works)

- the qualify= setting only makes sense for a peer

- the host= setting (plus deny=/permit=) in particular is what can create
the unexpected headaches if used with type=friend (some weeks ago there
was an excellent posting on this issue, probablly by J Todd), e.g.: you
want to fix a host for the "peer", but you might not want to fix a host
for the "user".

Cheers, Philipp