[Asterisk-Users] iax vs iax2 question

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Nov 19 06:47:23 MST 2003

Philipp,

> >  trunk=yes
> > and the dialplan includes:
> >  exten => _9.,1,Dial(IAX/npi:mypassword at 61.165.175.149/${EXTEN-1})
>
> I share your confusion about the port setup in iax.conf, but I think you
> don't need to worry about iax2 registration - it won't hurt you. Anyway,
> from what I understood trunking only works with IAX2 (just a remark).

I can relate to that, however when a firewall "is" involved with iax/iax2
connections, one can't generalize or guess at what * might be attempting
without causing service problems, etc. (Installing both is certainly one
way to do it, except security mgmt always involves shutting down ports
that aren't really needed to reduce exposure.)

> One final remark: You should really split up the "type=friend" entry into
> two entries for [sai-peer] with type=peer and [sai] with type=user. That
> will save you headaches in the future.

I've seen that comment several times before as well. Do you have any idea
or experience as to what "headaches" might result from its use?

I did have a problem with iaxtel about a month ago and changing to "user"
seem to correct its stability. But, I really don't know whether it was
a root-cause or symptom.

Can anyone help us better understand user, peer, and friend in the iax
and iax2 environment?

Rich