[Asterisk-Users] problems with alsa (card ac97) in asterisk

Dorian Gray asterisk at tintar.com
Mon Nov 17 21:24:46 MST 2003

Steven Critchfield wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 20:44, asterisk at lists.styx.org wrote:
>
>>Please don't presuppose what people are using this
>>stuff for. A phone is not just a phone.
>

> To make sure this doesn't seem like a argument, I understand there may
> be use for the soundcard. I was responding to the alsa or oss part by
> pointing out that a fairly large portion of this group has moved beyond
> the soundcard to other phone equipment.  This is only of use when taken
> in context to why no one has started answering the message. Many of us
> don't use it, therefore the knowledge pool to answer the question is a
> bit lower.

in fact, I don't use the soundcard explicitly...I don't use it at all.
(I'd always assumed that * had some implicit dependency on a dsp, but
apparently I was wrong...) perhaps the OP doesn't actually use his
soundcard either? he never said.

I only use alsa because using oss (to which the sample configuration
defaults) with i8x0 caused some problems the first time I fired up *. if
I can get away with using neither, that would be grand. (although I have
seen some creative suggestions on this list, e.g. using line-out as a
paging system...may have to try that one of these days)