[Asterisk-Users] problems with alsa (card ac97) in asterisk

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Nov 17 20:42:48 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 20:44, asterisk at lists.styx.org wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 04:42:30PM -0600, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> >
> > Or more likely by the tone of most post here, those of us heavily using
> > asterisk do not use the soundcard at all. We have better full function
> > ways of interfacing with asterisk. Phones are not that expensive, and
> > not hard to come by. Please invest in your education.
>
> It depends what you want to do with it... If you are
> a radio station you might like a way to get callers
> on the air... Asterisk does this well, but it's pretty
> hard with no sound card...
>
> Please don't presuppose what people are using this
> stuff for. A phone is not just a phone.

To make sure this doesn't seem like a argument, I understand there may
be use for the soundcard. I was responding to the alsa or oss part by
pointing out that a fairly large portion of this group has moved beyond
the soundcard to other phone equipment.  This is only of use when taken
in context to why no one has started answering the message. Many of us
don't use it, therefore the knowledge pool to answer the question is a
bit lower.