[Asterisk-Users] problems with alsa (card ac97) in asterisk

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Nov 17 21:49:45 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 22:24, Dorian Gray wrote:
> Steven Critchfield wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 20:44, asterisk at lists.styx.org wrote:
> >
> >>Please don't presuppose what people are using this
> >>stuff for. A phone is not just a phone.
> >

> > To make sure this doesn't seem like a argument, I understand there may
> > be use for the soundcard. I was responding to the alsa or oss part by
> > pointing out that a fairly large portion of this group has moved beyond
> > the soundcard to other phone equipment.  This is only of use when taken
> > in context to why no one has started answering the message. Many of us
> > don't use it, therefore the knowledge pool to answer the question is a
> > bit lower.
>
> in fact, I don't use the soundcard explicitly...I don't use it at all.
> (I'd always assumed that * had some implicit dependency on a dsp, but
> apparently I was wrong...) perhaps the OP doesn't actually use his
> soundcard either? he never said.
>
> I only use alsa because using oss (to which the sample configuration
> defaults) with i8x0 caused some problems the first time I fired up *. if
> I can get away with using neither, that would be grand. (although I have
> seen some creative suggestions on this list, e.g. using line-out as a
> paging system...may have to try that one of these days)

Use the noload directive in the modules.conf file.

noload=>chan_alsa.so
noload=>chan_oss.so

It probably isn't a bad idea to start learning alsa as it is the default
in 2.6 kernels.

As a general security suggestion, you should really audit which modules
you are using, and which ones you might use and get the rest out of your
running image. This action will minimize your exposure to potential
problems such as the long since fixed potential SIP exploit. The point
is, those who don't use some of the VoIP protocols, should probably keep
them unloaded so you don't expose asterisk to potential malicious
mischief.