[Asterisk-Users] FXO Cards in Australia

Anthony Wood woody+asterisk at switchonline.com.au
Sun Nov 16 23:09:53 MST 2003

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 04:32:50PM +1100, Gonzalo Servat wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 16:00, Anthony Wood wrote:
> > ISDN (telstra Onramp 2) is very similar in price to standard telstra lines.
> > The only problem is you can't have ADSL & ISDN on the same line.
> >
> > We upgraded from 2 analogue lines to 2 digital (i.e. 4 channels) for $250.
>
> I was a bit turned off by the $300+ installation cost. I just rang
> Telstra and its infact $190 if you already have a telephone line, which
> I do. Awesome!
>
> How come you 4 channels if you only have 2 digital lines? I thought it
> was one channel per line. I was told by the Telstra rep that I need a
> OnRamp2 which is 2 channels, 2 lines.

Yeah OnRamp2 replaces 1 analogue line, so we converted 2 analogue lines to
2 * OnRamp2 i.e. 4 lines.

> > But they Telstra'd up the installation so we asked for (and got) the $250 waived.
>
> Typical (about Telstra'ing the installation, not the setup fee
> discount!)
>
> > It's worth thinking about it because of the Advantages of Digital signalling when
> > using voice:
> >
> > Know which number was dialed
> > Know callerid early
> > Know when the other end has hung up
> > Better voice quality
> >
> > Using Analogue with Asterisk seems to be filled with Kludges to detect hangups,
> > busy, etc.  With ISDN, the exchange does that for you.
>
> Yeah, we're now looking at it again. Local calls are pretty cheap too as
> long as you don't talk for too long.
>
> You mentioned echo problems with the NetJet cards. Is this still the
> case or was it last time you tried that it that had echo problems? I did
> a Google search and didn't find much on the echo problems with them.

There is still the problem, so bad that 4 person business I know stumped up the cash
for an ISDN10 PRI install (AU$2000) and a TE410P (AU$3000) to replace a netjet ($250).

I have only heard good things about the AVM Fritz!Cards with chan_capi.  They are more
expensive than the NetJets, but cheaper per line than the Openline4.

> Thanks again for the good info.

I prefer Vanilla Coke to beer.

:-)

cheers