[Asterisk-Users] FXO Cards in Australia

Gonzalo Servat gs at webtastic.com.au
Sun Nov 16 22:32:50 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 16:00, Anthony Wood wrote:
> ISDN (telstra Onramp 2) is very similar in price to standard telstra lines.
> The only problem is you can't have ADSL & ISDN on the same line.
>
> We upgraded from 2 analogue lines to 2 digital (i.e. 4 channels) for $250.

I was a bit turned off by the $300+ installation cost. I just rang
Telstra and its infact $190 if you already have a telephone line, which
I do. Awesome!

How come you 4 channels if you only have 2 digital lines? I thought it
was one channel per line. I was told by the Telstra rep that I need a
OnRamp2 which is 2 channels, 2 lines.

> But they Telstra'd up the installation so we asked for (and got) the $250 waived.

Typical (about Telstra'ing the installation, not the setup fee
discount!)

> It's worth thinking about it because of the Advantages of Digital signalling when
> using voice:
>
> Know which number was dialed
> Know callerid early
> Know when the other end has hung up
> Better voice quality
>
> Using Analogue with Asterisk seems to be filled with Kludges to detect hangups,
> busy, etc.  With ISDN, the exchange does that for you.

Yeah, we're now looking at it again. Local calls are pretty cheap too as
long as you don't talk for too long.

You mentioned echo problems with the NetJet cards. Is this still the
case or was it last time you tried that it that had echo problems? I did
a Google search and didn't find much on the echo problems with them.

Thanks again for the good info.

Regards,
Gonzalo