[Asterisk-Users] FXO Cards in Australia

Anthony Wood woody+asterisk at switchonline.com.au
Sun Nov 16 22:00:14 MST 2003

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 03:49:40PM +1100, Gonzalo Servat wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 12:20, Anthony Wood wrote:
>
> > I have spoken to a number of Australian users who are successfully using:
> >
> > X100P
> > NetJet (echo issues)
> > AVM Fritz!Card
> >
> > I hope to add myself to their number shortly, since we have recieved our Fritz!es
> >
> > Also mick at netexpress seems to be having some success with the VoiceTronix openline4.
> >
> > All these cards are legal except the X100P.
>
> Thanks very much Anthony. VoiceTronix cards are a little out of my
> budget, the NatJet & AVM cards are for ISDN (and we need standard
> analogue).

ISDN (telstra Onramp 2) is very similar in price to standard telstra lines.
The only problem is you can't have ADSL & ISDN on the same line.

We upgraded from 2 analogue lines to 2 digital (i.e. 4 channels) for $250.

But they Telstra'd up the installation so we asked for (and got) the $250 waived.

It's worth thinking about it because of the Advantages of Digital signalling when
using voice:

Know which number was dialed
Know callerid early
Know when the other end has hung up
Better voice quality

Using Analogue with Asterisk seems to be filled with Kludges to detect hangups,
busy, etc.  With ISDN, the exchange does that for you.

cheers,
Woody