[Asterisk-Users] sip: 401 unauthorized with xlite

Robert Mann asterisk at easyway.com
Wed Nov 12 08:14:43 MST 2003

Romulo,

Without a little more information this is not so easy to solve.  So let me see if I can go through a couple of scenarios and see if we can figure out your particular problem.
If you have X-Lite behind a NAT router AND you are not connecting to an * server or your * server is outside of that same NAT router then your configuration should look like this.

[2203]
type=friend
username=2203
auth=md5
secret=1234
host=dynamic
nat=yes
reinvite=no
canreinvite=no
dissallow=all
allow=gsm
context=sip

If you are connecting to a * box and it is behind the same NAT router ie on the same network. You configuration is a workable configuration.

[2203]
type=friend
username=2203
auth=md5
secret=1234
host=192.168.10.149 ; my machine that has xlite
reinvite=no
canreinvite=no
dissallow=all
allow=gsm
context=sip

Now here is were it gets a little tricky.  If you have your X-Lite and * behind the same NAT router and you think you can make this work with externip=???.???.???.??? then good luck.  I was not able to get this to work with any SIP configuration.  I tried every possible combination I could think of at that point with no luck at all.  Unless someone else in this group has been able to make this work then to the best of my knowledge it will not work.

Now on a completely different side note here.  I have done this where I can get X-Lite or X-Pro either one to connect okay sometimes and not others (totally random) with success.  Sometimes it would auth ok and sometimes it would fail.  No configuration change or anything and nothing I could link to the issue.  During a SIP debug session I would simply get SIP/2.0 401 Unauthorized messages sent to my client.  I even went so far as to change the chan_sip.c to print out the two compared md5 hashes that should have looked exactly the same and they were not.  I would have reported this as a bug but I could find no one else to have this same issue that I was having.  So my suggestion to you is this.  If you think your sip configuration is correct then temporarily remove your secret with ;secret=1234 or remove the line altogether then restart your * box and then see if it will log in.  If it does then you know you are having some sort of other problem whether it be the same authentication issue I was having or something else altogether.

-Robert