[Asterisk-Users] Commercial Asterisk

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Sun Nov 9 02:48:47 MST 2003

The great thing with Open Source is that anyone is free to go away and
create a Red Hat-ized version of the software. As long as the GPL is
followed by the book, everyone should be happy. Don't just expect everyone
to join you.

There's a lot of people on the mailing list who in a small form have
a commercial business formed around Open Source Voip Software, be it
Asterisk, Vocal or SIP express router or combinations thereof.

What I just don't see as an oppurtunity is to go backwards and follow
the proprietary software business model, to pack stuff in a box on a
media and sell with tech support.

I agree of one thing though, that the Asterisk Open Source project needs
a documentation and a marketing project. The asterisk.org site is not
very market-driven and the documentation is bad. And the attitude towards
documentation is somewhat disappointing (not very unusual amongst programmers).

The OpenOffice.org project have a marketing subproject that has been
doing a lot of non-development things. Coordinating pressreleases,
arranging conferences, participation in other conferences, training
material etc. Maybe we should look into stealing ideas from that project?

/O