[Asterisk-Users] Commercial Asterisk

martin at agilecall.com martin at agilecall.com
Sun Nov 9 08:09:49 MST 2003

Hello,
I just wanted to put my 0,02$ to this discusssion,
Asterisk isnt a software that is Ready-to-go. If you are not a coder
or if you dont have a good coder in your team you can forget about commercial
implementation. Large companies that have lots of $$$$ want to buy product
that can be powered, pluged in the line and that can be forgotten.
Is it possible with asterisk ? IMHO not yet.
Also buyer expects one year warranty and technical support in reasonable time
thats what Open Source isnt able to provide. Responsibility for the product
isnt what you get in free software. Thats why I see a place for companies
that can create, install and support custom asterisk solutions. But the hard
part is that you need to compete with solutions like dialogic that have a brand
and for some customers price just doesnt matter.
For me its easier to find customer for "black box dialogic like solution" then
for Open Source Asterisk PBX.
How many large asterisk installations are there in the world ? Whats the
largest one ? Why people arent talking about it ? Without examples its hard to
convice potential customer that it works.
Till now i read about two well described installations on this list.
Sure there are others but not well know not such that can be reffered to.

best regards
m.