[Asterisk-Users] Callgroups and Pickupgroups in Console/dsp

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sat Nov 8 13:32:53 MST 2003

>Hi all.
>
>I've made a patch for chan_oss.c to enable
>callgroups and pickupgroups in it (since wasn't enabled).
>I needed it for a special use of the console (pickup
>calls arriving to the console from another phone)
>
>btw, If someone is interested, I can submit a patch
>to the bugtracker. I won't do it until
>that's usefult for someone... since is a very special
>features that probably no one will ever use
>
>lemme know.
>Matteo.
>
>--
>Matteo Brancaleoni
>Espia System Administrator
>Email : mbrancaleoni at espia.it
>Web   : http://www.espia.it
>Phone : +39 02 70633354      - ext 911
>IAX(2): guest at 213.140.14.155 - ext 911
>Iaxtel: 1-700-56-62458       - ext 911

I assume this doesn't work with a console that is auto-answer?
That's where I see some value, but I'm not sure from your description
if that's what you've implemented.

I would like to have an overhead paging system auto-answer a call
("Bob, if you're in the garage, pick up a phone and dial *") and then
allow a user pick up the call from their SIP extension by dialing a
pickup group ID.  This is good for large areas where there is
normally a lot of background noise, or where the users of the system
aren't sitting near phones most of the time and where carrying a
portable is more hassle than it's worth (auto garages come to mind.)
Having an overhead paging system connected to the console sound card,
and then being able to yank a call from that channel onto another
channel seems to be a very worthwhile feature.

This is slightly different than callgroup/pickupgroups use that I've
used in the past, which only work on channels that are still
_ringing_ and have not been answered.

Does your patch work on console channels that have already been
answered?  If so, please submit it to the bugtracker since that would
be very useful.  In fact, you should submit it anyway, since adding
similar functionality to all channels is a Good Thing.

JT