[Asterisk-Users] ISDN PBX + IVR + Voicemail Configuration - Sanity Check ...

Vledder, Hans Hans_Vledder at nl.compuware.com
Thu Nov 6 07:58:54 MST 2003

Hi All,

First of all, please no flames about the footer of this message. It's being
inserted into all outgoing email by the server here without asking me
personally first once I send out email. Since I've been very interested in
setting up an Asterisk PBX + IVR + Voicemail system to support a small
business and a foundation for quite some time now, in order to replace their
current ISDN PBX, I've been following the discussions on this list and have
been reading whatever I could find or ran into about Asterisk.

Although my favorite configuration would consist of an ISDN2 telco
connection on the outside and running multiple ISDN phones from a single
point-to-multipoint nt-mode ISDN controller (CologneChip based) on the
inside, this does not seem to be supported very well at this stage. ISDN bus
power, as described by the PBX4Linux initiative, is not much of an issue for
me personally, because all our ISDN equipment have their own power supply.
Hopefully support for internal ISDN S-busses will become available in time,
as we, like many others in Europe, have made significant investments in ISDN
equipment over the years and like to be able to use it with Asterisk.

For the time being I've decided to hookup an Asterisk box to one to the
internal extension ports of our PBX and run an IVR and Voicemail system on
it. Before I do, I would appreciate more experienced Asterisk users to
review my plans and check whether my ambitions are feasible. The
configuration that I would like to setup has the following characteristics:

a. Pentium 166 (am I pushing it ?) based Asterisk box running Linux (what
flavour ?)
b. Hooked up to ISDN PBX using an ISDN4Linux (chan_modem ?) or CAPI4Linux
(chan_capi ?) compatible ISDN controller.
c. Asterisk accepting external calls from MSN's configured in PBX and
transferred to Asterisk box (trivial !)
d. Custom IVR application (module or AGI based ?) presenting caller with
usual IVR stuff according to our needs and transfering (chan_modem or
chan_capi, which one can do it ?) calls to the phones connected to the PBX.
e. Setup voice mail and make sure PBX transfers calls to it when
appropriate.

Can this be done like this ?

Regards,
Hans Vledder
The Netherlands

P.S. He who comes up with clean internal ISDN bus (point to multi-point)
support for Asterisk, based on CologneChip based equipment receives an 18"
large Dutch cheese in the mail, right after I've wiped away my tears of
happiness !

and then destroy it.