[Asterisk-Users] Reasons why I shouldn't use Asterisk?

Jonathan Hogg jonathan.hogg at seventh-wave-systems.com
Thu Nov 6 00:44:40 MST 2003

On 6 Nov 2003, at 04:32, Tilghman Lesher wrote:

> OK, let me get this straight.  Because the Asterisk voicemail menu is
> fault tolerant and lets you undo a delete, it's therefore unacceptable.

I don't think the OP said it was unacceptable, just that it wasn't as
configurable as they would like and they considered that a con. I can
sympathise - the voicemail system is complicated.

I can punch through all the messages in my mobile phone voicemail with
three keys. 1 plays the message again, 2 saves it, 3 deletes it. If I
save or delete a message it automatically advances to the next one. In
comparison, the Asterisk voicemail program is a dog. Having complex
functionality is fine as long as the basic functionality isn't made
obscure.

And before you accuse me of being unable to handle moderately complex
systems as well. The point the OP was making is that it's not
*configurable* not that it's too hard. If I choose to have a simpler
system - or more importantly choose for all the users at an
installation to have a simpler system - I can't do that.

Jonathan