[Asterisk-Users] Reasons why I shouldn't use Asterisk?

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Wed Nov 5 21:32:30 MST 2003

On Wednesday 05 November 2003 18:41, Ariel Batista wrote:
> From: Tilghman Lesher <tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com>
>
> >> and the biggest one I feel is a major problem!
> >>
> >> 5) Voicemail can not be configured unless you re program it
> >> yourself. And is not based on any standards!
> >
> >I'm curious as to what you find unconfigurable in Voicemail.  I'm
> >also wondering if you have an RFC for voicemail in mind (for
> >standardization).
>
> What the major problem is folders and how they work!  Also once you
> get into the folders the prompts will not play to what to do with
> them. You have to pick advanced options to know what the other keys
> do!  You can not move around fast and if you press the wrong key it
> will undelete the message and it puts it in the old messages folder.
> Users then complain that there light is still flashing.  Most other
> voicemail system if you delete the message it moves to the next!  And
> you can configure it not to have delete folder and old folders.

OK, let me get this straight.  Because the Asterisk voicemail menu is
fault tolerant and lets you undo a delete, it's therefore unacceptable.

It sounds more like you're having a slight learning curve with getting
up to speed on a new system.  I'm not sure why you fault Asterisk for
this, as every system out there is going to have a learning curve.  As
Steve Underwood pointed out elsewhere in this thread, there are no
standards for voicemail applications, so every system is going to be
different.

Personally, I like the fact that I have to explicitly delete a message
for it to get deleted and that if I delete a message accidently, I can
undo that (and more importantly, the non-techies in the office can
also do that).  This is a feature, not a bug.

-Tilghman