[Asterisk-Users] Web Interface for adding new users

Jared Smith jsmith at drgutah.com
Wed Nov 5 17:42:07 MST 2003

Cool... more asterisk users in Utah.  (Maybe we should start a Utah
Asterisk Users Group?)  I've added some notes inline:

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 11:06, ProvoCityPower wrote:
> We are new to the Asterisk community and really appreciate
> the willingness you have to share knowledge and help one another. We
> are building one of the Nations first fiber to the home networks here
> in Provo and have selected Asterisk to test as our phone switch.
>
> Newbie kinds of questions:
>
> Is there any web-based tool that would allow non-technical personnel
> to add new Telephone customers?
There are several that are in the beginning states of development, but I
haven't yet seen one that's completely finished.  It really wouldn't be
too hard to program one though, if all you needed was to just add
another extension.

> Has anyone developed any database interfaces for billing data or
> Customer maintenance?
Same as the above answer... there are a few floating around (check out
the Astweb project on SourceForge, for instance).

> Is everyone comfortable that Asterisk is capable of delivering five
> 9s, primary residential, 911 functioning service?
Nope... Well, not unless you make redundant systems, etc, etc.  As much
as I rely on Asterisk, it's not yet stable enough.  (In case anyone
cares, I do more than a million minutes of VoIP calls a month through
Asterisk...)  If you're willing to invest some time and energy, you can
make your Asterisk *system* very reliable, but as for the Asterisk
software itself, it has a ways to go.

Jared Smith