[Asterisk-Users] Reasons why I shouldn't use Asterisk?

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 5 10:30:24 MST 2003

--- Gavin Hamill <gdh at acentral.co.uk> wrote:
> It would seem an odd question, but I'm trying to put together a
> little
> presentation on 'Why Asterisk?' and need to list Pros and Cons....
> I've
> got plenty of Pros (including the availability of commercial
> support),
> but the only Con I can think of is 'Relatively few installations
> worldwide'

What's "few" there must be many thousands of installations.

Reasons not to buy it, I think all revolve around the fact
that Digium is a very small bussiness and could easly vanish.
and while there are numerus small consulting firms that could
step in few have to ability to actually write new core PBX code
or device drivers and continue development.  Even those few might
see that someone motivated and talented failed and not want to
step in.

That said, if you have some technical skills you don't need
support and if all else fails there are other Open Source
projects that you could fall back on.  So the risk is quite
low.  It is _very_ low if you take the time to make plans to
cover yourself.  In the end, you have the Asterisk code, you
don't get this if you buy a comercial PBX system.

The other reason not to buy is that it simply may not be a good
technical "fit".  Clearly Asterisk is not what you'd want
if your company had 10,000 phone extensions

> Can anyone think of any others?
>
> Cheeres,
> Gavin.

=====