[Asterisk-Users] Reasons why I shouldn't use Asterisk?

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Wed Nov 5 09:02:41 MST 2003

Gavin Hamill wrote:

> It would seem an odd question, but I'm trying to put together a little
> presentation on 'Why Asterisk?' and need to list Pros and Cons.... I've
> got plenty of Pros (including the availability of commercial support),
> but the only Con I can think of is 'Relatively few installations
> worldwide'
>
> Can anyone think of any others?
Cons:
* Not a full SIP proxy
If you're looking for a SIP proxy that follows the RFC, Asterisk is not your choice.
...yet. There's work going on to fix this.

* No release handling
There are new schemes planned for stable/development branches but right now,
there is only your pick of a CVS date and you're on your own to see if it's stable.
New functions aren't downported to older, stable, versions.

* Limited hardware support
The software is pretty well tied to Digium hardware for PSTN connectivity.

(Myself, I have no problem with this, but it could be seen as a "con").

/O