[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk behind LinkSys NAT Routing

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 3 15:35:41 MST 2003

I'm replying to my own post because it is not clear.

1) STUN can find all the firewalls between Aterisk
and whatever else.  It can also find what your public
IP address it.

2) THere is an easy to use opensource STUN library
available but I'm not yet sure how acivly developed it is
currently.  It's e-mail list seems very inactive.

3) Suggestions please:  Where is Asterisk should STUN
code go?  I figure  not in any of the chan_*.c routines
as NAT environment is global to all channels.  You can't
just do it once at startup either as the environment may
be dynamic

--- Chris Albertson <chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hasn't anyone simply _looked_ at the code?  This sounds like the
> patch that was posted here to this mailing list last week.
> Did it make it into CVS already?
>
> Yes, "STUN" is the way to go.  It can find out what your external
> IP address is and what kind of firewall you have.
>
> I'm currently trying to learn more about STUN and how it could be
> added
> into Astrisk.  You certaily can't have Asterisk block and wait
> for a STUN server so I think STUN goes in a new thread.  Who
> to do that?  There seem to be enough examples already in Asterisk
> I'm reading these.  The other problem is trying to contact the
> maintainer of the STUN library.  So far my own post asking "Who
> maintains this?" is the only message  I've seen on their list.
> Perhaps the answer is "no one"?

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com