[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk behind LinkSys NAT Routing

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Mon Nov 3 18:54:27 MST 2003

>I'm replying to my own post because it is not clear.
>
>1) STUN can find all the firewalls between Aterisk
>and whatever else.  It can also find what your public
>IP address it.

Correct.

>2) THere is an easy to use opensource STUN library
>available but I'm not yet sure how acivly developed it is
>currently.  It's e-mail list seems very inactive.

My perception of the STUN code is that it's fairly simple to
understand, and that it "just works," therefore there are few
questions on a mature package that needs no additional features at
this time.  I could be wrong...

>3) Suggestions please:  Where is Asterisk should STUN
>code go?  I figure  not in any of the chan_*.c routines
>as NAT environment is global to all channels.  You can't
>just do it once at startup either as the environment may
>be dynamic

I don't see why it wouldn't go into the respective channel
configuration files, and into the applications that ran against those
files.  Perhaps reference some shared library, but I suspect that the
configurations should be in each file independently, so each channel
type can carry it's own data structures for internal/external IP
address data (which you may want to be different on a
channel-by-channel or even host-by-host basis.)

JT