[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk behind LinkSys NAT Routing

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 3 15:22:14 MST 2003

--- Robert L Mathews <lists at tigertech.com> wrote:
> At 11/3/03 10:00 AM, Martin Pycko <martinp at digium.com> wrote:
>
> >> Is "externip" and new parameter??
> >
> >It's new. It prevents asterisk from putting the private IP in the
> messages
> >that asterisk sends with SIP.
>
> Does it take an IP address, like "externip=1.2.3.4"? And does it then
>
> force the SIP messages for that channel to use the "externip" value
> instead of the server's local IP address?
>
> If so, that's useful; it will help people who know in advance that a
> certain phone is on one side of a NAT or the other.
>
> However, it would be nicer still if it could "fix" the SIP messages
> only
> when necessary, using a subnet mask or STUN, as has been proposed.
>
> The reason is that hard-coding an IP address to use when
> communicating
> with a certain client means you can't have a phone in an office (on
> the
> same side of the NAT as Asterisk) during the day, then take the phone
>
> home at night (on the other side of the NAT) and have it work without
>
> changing sip.conf.

Hasn't anyone simply _looked_ at the code?  This sounds like the
patch that was posted here to this mailing list last week.
Did it make it into CVS already?

Yes, "STUN" is the way to go.  It can find out what your external
IP address is and what kind of firewall you have.

I'm currently trying to learn more about STUN and how it could be added
into Astrisk.  You certaily can't have Asterisk block and wait
for a STUN server so I think STUN goes in a new thread.  Who
to do that?  There seem to be enough examples already in Asterisk
I'm reading these.  The other problem is trying to contact the
maintainer of the STUN library.  So far my own post asking "Who
maintains this?" is the only message  I've seen on their list.
Perhaps the answer is "no one"?

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com