[Asterisk-Users] Where can i get the g.723 codec?

Eric Wieling eric at fnords.org
Mon Nov 3 08:47:44 MST 2003

The makers of hardphones prolly get their G72x licensing by using a DSP
that already has a license.  The DSP can't be that expensive.  I wish
someone would make a PCI card with something like 8 of these chips on it
and sell it cheap.  Should be pretty easy to build a codec for Asterisk
that uses the DSP card.

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 09:39, Gavin Hamill wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 15:14, Eric Wieling wrote:
> > Licensing info for the G723.1 codec, direct from the holding company
> > that licenses the codec.
> >
> > http://www.dspg.com/technology/LicensePricing.html
>
> >From what I remember when I looked into this about a year ago, this
> isn't even the end of it, since whilst DSPG represent /most/ of the IP
> holders on the codec, there are still others, and if you want to be
> completely sure of being legally in the clear, then you must reach
> seperate licensing arrangements with them....
>
> If only some of the hard-phones would use Speex or similar, then all
> these problems would Go Away, and the production costs for the phones
> could drop, giving the manufr. the same amount of margin, but at a lower
> market cost.
>
> Cheers,
> Gavin.

Sample configs, scripts, more : http://www.fnords.org/~eric/asterisk/

BTEL Consulting 504-899-1387 or 850-484-4545 or 877-677-9643