[Asterisk-Users] Where can i get the g.723 codec?

Gavin Hamill gdh at acentral.co.uk
Mon Nov 3 09:23:47 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 15:47, Eric Wieling wrote:
> The makers of hardphones prolly get their G72x licensing by using a DSP
> that already has a license.  The DSP can't be that expensive.  I wish
> someone would make a PCI card with something like 8 of these chips on it
> and sell it cheap.  Should be pretty easy to build a codec for Asterisk
> that uses the DSP card.

Hm, interesting idea. I wonder if one of the clauses in the purchase of
the DSP chips is that you must use them in a complete embedded device,
rather than a general-purpose peripheral as you suggest

QuickNet certainly did this with their Windows PhoneJack LineJack, but
interestingly the Linux LineJack had the hardware DSP facility removed
IIRC - I'm guessing the 'open'-ness of Linux just frightened the legal
people :(

Cheers,
Gavin.