[Asterisk-Users] FAX and Data support in asterisk......?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue May 27 05:54:53 MST 2003

On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 07:10, denzel at infotechs.lk wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> What the support that asterisk has to send/receive Faxes? Can I plug a FAX
> machine in the a FXS extension and send out Faxes? What's the codec I need
> to use? g.711? Also can we receive a FAX into a FXS extension in Asterisk
> PBX?
>
> Also I need to know if we can send/receive FSK data from/to an extension
> plugged into Asterisk PBX? For example if there's a phone model which can
> send text/images to another phone of the same kind, can they sit on FXS
> extension of Asterisk and do the same thing? If yes, what's the codec that
> needs to use?
>
> Also can we set it up to support one codec for Voice and another codec for
> Data?

If you are using non VoIP connections between telephony hardware, you
don't have to worry about codecs. Codec choice only comes into play if
you are doing some VoIP connections where bandwidth is of concern.

As far as phone connections and fax connections, again if you are using
hardware from Digium, you just plug them in just  like any other phone
and they just work. You only run into trouble if you are doing VoIP over
much of a distance. While I have had some luck getting a 14.4 connection
over my cable modem using Zap hardware, it isn't a good idea to do it
for important calls.