[Asterisk-Users] [new user] VPN or NAT? (and a FAQ)

Jamie Carl me at jazz-inc.net
Mon May 26 16:26:31 MST 2003

Rob,

The only problem Asterisk has with NAT is when using SIP.
 I've managed to get it working myself by making a few
minor changes to the code, but for your application I'd
say go for IAX.  You will have to setup a port forward for
the IAX packets on your firewall, but that's it really.

I have a pretty secure firewall in me lab, for incoming
traffic that is, and I was able to call Digium over the
net 5 minutes after installing Asterisk.

So to answer your question.  I'd say, if you want the
security, go for the VPN.  But it will without a doubt run
a bit better without the extra overhead, so if you're not
worried about security on your voice, go for NAT.

Jamie Carl