[Asterisk-Users] Newbie Big question

wasim at convergence.com.pk wasim at convergence.com.pk
Mon May 26 10:17:31 MST 2003

On Mon, 26 May 2003 chiardon at cable.net.co wrote:

> I need your support in a big decision in front of two alternatives
> related with *. I must buy an E1, in order to manage 30 channels, given
> this big price; or I could opt for a 15 BRIs without cost to replace the
> same number of channels, and the question that inmediatly emerge is : ¿
> can asterisk manage 15 BRIs ? If yes to the latter, could posible somo
> guide, for instance, wich Digium hardware I must choose (Card and
> channel bank) ? How can i configurate it??

you'll still need 15 x BRI cards, and 15 cables to manage, and although
isd4linux can handle this for data, some of our euro friends can help you
up with chan_capi, this just won't make sense compared to what an E1 would
do in terms of manageability (simplicity), just imho and 2c, but get an
e100p (~USD500) and make life easy... there's enough to worry about in
this world, and how come you get BRI without cost? unless ofcourse you can
get your telco to bundle the BRI into one big package, and then there
might be a case, and dunno if chan_capi would handle it, besides the AVM
cards would really run you a pretty penny, lessee ~USD350 x 15 = $$$

(i'm just piked coz i'm seeing 25% packet loss, and IAX2 keeps thinking
the other side has hung up during the middle of a call and its annoying)

 - wasim