[Asterisk-Users] advantages of a sip phone over Wildcard TDM400P solution

Gary gary at ausmail.com
Sat May 24 10:20:59 MST 2003

On Sat, 24 May 2003 10:13:31 -0700 (PDT), Brett Schwarz wrote:

>--- Andy Powell <andy at beagles-den.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure if SMS is used in the US (please
>> correct me if I'm wrong)..
>
>Yes, for the last several years...
>
>> however, since SIP does support messaging it would
>> be nice to see
>> that added.
>>
>> Andy
>>
>> On 25/05/2003 at 02:26 Gary wrote:
>>
>> >just glancing over that panasonic doc made me start
>> thinking, that text
>> >messaging (SMS) with asterisk would be
>> interesting....
>> >
>> >now for IAX/SIP/h323/MCGP is there anything in the
>> specs about SMS
>> >(Short Message Service) which Asterisk could
>> implement ?
>

>Are you talking about connecting to the mobile SMS
>systems, or are you talking about having a SMS type
>system for Asterisk?
>
>For the former, the easiest way to do this is to just
>connect via an email hub. Most operators have
>email-SMS gateways, where you can send email to
>mobiles, which gets converted to SMS messages.
>
>For the latter, I believe Asterisk might have some
>type of facility already. In phonecore, there is a
>send text function, which would lead me to believe
>that this was some sort of messaging
>mechanism...although I have not tried it, so I can't
>say for sure.
>
>    --brett

Actually thats whats prompted the thought, never tried it, never even
investigated it, but if it was to work with asterisk via an email
system and a combination of SIP/IAX/h323/MCGP clients support messaging
it would be a rather unique item, mind you it could also be an abused
item, AND email it probably a better alternative anyway (when you think
about it),
.